Thursday 21 January 2016

Day 21 - Walking on the Beach

 
Acrylic on board 16cm x 16cm
 
After a busy day I began painting at 4pm. Dinner time loomed with nothing to offer the family as I hadn't made it to the supermarket yet. I was already having to push through inertia to paint as it was, because I really wasn't in the mood for painting. So with the pressure of the evening bearing down on me, I was one stroke of paint away from abandoning the painting and heading to the supermarket. But I knew that once I'd got back and cooked dinner there was no way I would have the energy to resume where I left off. So I ordered pizza!
 
Once I'd let myself off the hook, I found it easier to engage with the painting and was able to resolve what hadn't been working. The fact that we missed out on a home cooked dinner will be forgotten by tomorrow night (if I cook something nice) but this painting will potentially last for generations. If only I could use that excuse every night!
 
 
 

11 comments:

  1. this one is fantastic Wendy! I love the way you've cropped the picture to focus on that little band of beachcombers...really great feeling of light in this, and love the loose and gestural brushwork in the landscape. I bet the family was happy as anything to have pizza, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very pretty Wendy. Time well spent, you can always have a home cooked meal tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely - this reminds me of paintings done by the St.Ives group of painters in the 1930s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This painting is one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the interaction between the figures! Lovely painting!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, love the painting.

    XOXOXOXOXOXOXO Barbara (incidentally a great plus in our marriage was hiring extremely reasonable people to clean 2 floors a week,once a week, which means every 2 weeks the whole house is clean. They are way better at it than us. And our house is always clean, so we don't argue about who will do it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I like that one too.
    Well pizza for a change is alright :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was really worth missing out the come cooked dinner for , a true WOW piece ! Love everything about it !

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so lovely Wendy. Enjoying your abstracts too. More than over half way now. You have my admiration as I could not do such a concentrated challenge. Well done you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for all your lovely comments everyone! Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete