Sunday 1 September 2013

Day 1 - On the Way to Lunch

Acrylic on board 15 cm x 15 cm (6" x 6") 

Yay! One down, 29 to go!! I hadn't had a chance to do any preparation at all prior to this morning, so the first hour of the day was spent deciding on what photo to use for art reference. It took a while cropping various options from several different photo shoots. I had decided yesterday that I'd begin with an ocean scene, but which one? I'd taken some great shots the week before when walking along the coast to a cafe for lunch with a friend. I had actually done the same walk to the same cafe 3 days in a row - with different people each day! I was catching up with friends before locking myself away to get on with my writing. Conditions had been so divine on the first day but I hadn't taken my camera, so I made sure to take it the following day. The photo below was taken on day two (which was a carbon copy of the day before) and used as the reference for today's painting.


Then I cropped it into a square to make it easier to paint from.


Hmmm, probably not a good idea to compare my painting with the photos as it doesn't do it any favours. All I can say is that the painting looks better in the flesh than it does above (I hope!).

I was thrilled to get the painting finished in 2 hours as I had a busy afternoon ahead - being Father's Day today in Australia. Once I'd cleaned my brushes and had a bite to eat, I spent the afternoon visiting my dad and dad-in-law. I even got a chance to spend half an hour or so in the garden as I didn't need to organise dinner tonight. My oldest daughter is doing the honours tonight for her dad!! It's smellin' good!!!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy! Congratulations with the first painting of the challenge! It's beautiful, love the blue colors of the ocean and the loose brush strokes. Good luck with painting the coming 29 days! I hope you had a great Father's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I had a lovely day thank you Hilje! I'm glad you liked the colours. I love working with those hues.

      Delete
  2. I enjoy your painting and it makes me want to visit Australia! I love your colors, and the composition of this painting! Enjoy the painting challenge! (It's gonna be fun!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Brenda! Hopefully you will get to visit Australia one day.
      I enjoyed looking at your blog - your colour combinations are great!
      Good luck with the challenge!

      Delete
  3. Wendy, your first painting is gorgeous! I love the colors, the view...everything( and thanks for taking the time to share the painting process). You are off to an excellent start!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Celia, I am excited to be off and running. Thanks for following my progress!

      Delete
  4. A cool refreshing painting! And nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so for visiting Kim and for you lovely comments! Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay Wendy My Art Cobber! I love the ocean and I love these ocean paintings! "Deep greens and blues are the colors I choose!" James Taylor "Sweet Baby James
    These last two ocean scenes capture the ocean in a wondrous way. I know exactly how you feel when you write that the painting almost directs you to its own destination!
    Keep up these wonderful ocean scenes!
    Your Ocean Loving Art Buddy!
    North Atlantic USA Michael

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Michael! Such a compliment from the ocean connoisseur! Yes, I love those deep greens and blues! I so love your ocean paintings - I love how you let your ocean paintings lead the way - and in such wonderful ways!

    Your Art Cobber
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete