Saturday 28 September 2013

Day 28 - In-progress - Broken but Beloved


Eeek! Now I'm half a painting behind - right when the finish line is in sight! I didn't get started on this painting until 3.45pm today and after nearly 3 hours working on it I realised that the light was changing too much on my subject matter. I was painting from life and even though I had my daylight lamp on, once the sun went down it still seemed to affect the shadows.
Below is a snap of the Christmas ornaments I'm painting. The two pine cones are beloved vintage ornaments that I grew up with as a child that my mum bought new in the 60s. The front one has a great gaping hole in the back of it and is unusable, but I couldn't bear to throw it out so it now resides in a Christmas tin on a little bed of tinsel. The little Santa is a modern ornament but made to look vintage. I'm going to have to paint like the clappers tomorrow!


12 comments:

  1. Beautiful ornaments,Wendy! The painting is lovely and is a wonderful way to preserve these treasured pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Celia, yes I think it is nice to paint treasured pieces, it somehow feels more substantial than just taking a photo.

      Delete
  2. I agree. It is lovely. Hope you are making a calendar. Good for you for painting from life. I need to do more of that myself. So much more info from life than a photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kaethe! Not sure about the calendar but I will investigate it. I'd done a Christmas painting just in case it would make a nice card sometime.

      Delete
  3. I have never heard the expression 'like the clappers'. It seems very apporpriate for lots of circumstances! I like this piece, and the nostalgic mood it evokes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katherine! Go like the clappers means to go very fast!

      Delete

  4. I really love the way you arranged them so the light came down and caught on all those bumps. Difficult to do and you managed to paint them beautifully. i especially love the darker one.
    I lol at - paint like the clappers - have not heard that in years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Julie! Yes, I was feeling pretty pleased with the darker one - which is finished at this stage.
      I use that expression all the time I must confess, I will have to take note to see if others around here do as well. I do enjoy colourful language!

      Delete
  5. Oh you are getting me into the Christmas mood , such sweet ornaments and beautifully painted. I too have Christmas stuff that should be thrown out because it is broken , but I can't bear o do it as it holds so many memories:-) Have a nice sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who can't bear to throw out broken things.

      Delete