Thursday 26 September 2013

Day 26 - Splendid Fairy Wren

                                           Acrylic on board 15cm x 15cm (6" x 6")

I had already chosen a subject for today's painting but found I couldn't stop myself from trawling nostalgically through all my photos. I happened upon this photo of a Splendid Fairy Wren I took in 2004 while holidaying at Margaret River in the South West. It spoke to me more than my original choice did, so here it is.

I was feeling like a bit of a fraud today as I remembered belatedly that yesterday's painting wasn't my first figure painting in acrylics after all - in fact it was my third. I'd finished painting so late last night (after 10pm) and I was soo tired, my memory was addled. Below is a painting I did earlier last year which I painted for my father-in-law's birthday. It took over 5 weeks to finish it. I also did another painting last year from a photo I took of my daughter looking out of a window in Venice a few years ago.






6 comments:

  1. Wendy, whether it is your first or fifth figure, you have a natural gift for it. I love these other two older works, beautifully done! I love your little bird too, you are doing an awesome job with this challenge,getting close to the finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Celia, You have been such a great champion throughout my journey! Yes, only a few left to go now! I'm hoping to do a writing challenge next month because I didn't end up getting much writing time at all this month!

      Delete
  2. Awesome work! I really love your water. It reads perfectly with the reflection and movement. Wish I could do that! Thank you for sharing your process. I enjoy reading how you arrive at your paintings and how you use subject matter that is around you. We get the privilege of peaking into your world. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kaethe! I'm sure you could do that! You have such an amazing talent and capture light like few others can!
      I do enjoy painting things around me but I would also like to work more from reference photos I've taken on overseas holidays too.

      Delete
  3. Your paintings are great Wendy, I really like your style, and you can do anything !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind to say such things Jane. I'm always impressed with your broad range of subject matter and your ongoing prolific output!

      Delete