Tuesday 10 September 2013

Day 11 - Banksia Menziesii

                                          Acrylic on board 15cm x15cm (6" x 6")

I really enjoyed painting this today. I wanted to stylise it rather than try to be too exact - I'm hoping it will be suitable as a greeting card for my Australiana range (if I do one). I have been using thicker paint in the last few paintings which has helped to loosen up a little. I can feel real improvements in my understanding of how to manipulate the paint just in these last 10 days. It's nice to see tangible benefits from the challenge already.

 The reference photo was from a shot I took in May last year of a flowering Banksia Menziesii. For those not accustomed to this beautiful species, I have posted the reference photo below. There are so many different varieties of Banksia and as a genus they are a very iconic Australian flower.


10 comments:

  1. Really like this one, Wendy! Especially because this is an iconic Australian flower. The colors are great and I love the little details you painted. Good too hear that you already can see the benefits from the challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Hilje, I really enjoyed painting this and hope it will work as a greeting card. Yes, I'm finding the challenge to be a very worthwhile investment of time, although it certainly makes life more frenetic. The house is going to rack and ruin. I'm only managing to keep on top of the basics. I also managed to spend an hour on my writing this afternoon which was great.
      I'm glad to hear you are on the last part of your painting. Can't wait to see it!

      Delete
  2. I'm noticing a more painterly approach in your work , Wendy. Thanks again for providing the photo reference, beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Celia, you are very kind! I'm glad you noticed the more painterly approach. I have really loosened up in the last three paintings. I worked out a little trick that is helping me - I make my photo reference smaller than usual so I can't see quite so much detail (saves having to squint!), and I am also using much thicker paint.

      It is interesting to see the photo reference I think, but it is a little daunting when comparing the two. Somehow when they are both on screen it seems to make all the faults in the painting show up even more. But I was happy with today's outcome nonetheless!
      I hope you are getting some painting time. I guess your kids have recently returned to school after their summer holidays?

      Delete
  3. This is fabulous! You are doing really nice work Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kaethe! You are doing beautiful paintings for the challenge!

      Delete
  4. Love today's painting. I too have already seen an improvement in my work too and like you am applying the paint thicker and hopefully, more painterly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mo. It is exciting isn't it? I love your work!

      Delete
  5. I thought it was a photo when I first saw it. It's really beautiful. It must take a lot of patience to paint all the little dots everywhere. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! You have a lovely collection coming along for the challenge.

      Delete