Wednesday, 29 August 2012
The very first painting I did in my 10 day challenge was from a photo of a succulent I have growing in the back yard. I hadn't painted with acrylics for four or five years and even then I'd only ever done one painting. I'd totally forgotten how to use the medium which became very obvious in the finished product (see above). I was disappointed with it and vowed to try it again later down the track. Today was the day.
I used a different photo today and began laboriously trying to copy the colours and shadows exactly. There is only so much of the masochist in me and after a while I decided to stylize it which seemed to work a little better and was much easier to do.
I loved the new boards. I had previously been using stretched canvas or canvas covered boards which I found took a lot of extra paint to cover the textured surface. Today the paint felt lovely and buttery and made for a very enjoyable painting experience.
6" x 6" Acrylic on board
Sunday, 26 August 2012
Thursday, 23 August 2012
Wednesday, 22 August 2012
I painted this in May from a photograph I had taken several years ago. It took me 4 hours to paint and I felt very pleased at keeping it loose. When I'd finished I realised that the colours of the ocean were a little insipid but I didn't have the courage to change it at that point.
Tuesday, 21 August 2012
I did this painting for my Father-in-law's birthday in April. When I began it the plan was to do it in a very loose style and finish it in one day. The two previous paintings each took around 4 hours to paint but I wasn't able to loosen up with this one and it took many, many more hours over 5 weeks to complete.